I am writing to you as an Ontario voter. I am deeply concerned that your plans to bring children back to school in September does not include the funding or supports needed to prevent COVID-19 outbreaks.
Your government’s flimsy back-to-school plan is rolling the dice on kids' school year and their well-being.
Parents, teachers, and kids are exhausted from a year of upheaval and painful remote learning. So many kids are struggling with their mental health and wellbeing, and many will have a hard time catching up after a year of disruption.
I am calling on you to do everything possible to protect kids and staff, and to have an air-tight plan to prevent outbreaks and exposures so we can avoid more disastrous at-home learning.
Now, more than ever, it’s time to invest in our kids. I urge you to listen to Andrea Horwath and the NDP, and create a new back to school plan that includes:
- Small class sizes so kids can physically distance and get more one-on-one help to recover academically and emotionally
- Minimum ventilation standards
- Additional mental health supports
- A proactive vaccination strategy to boost student vaccination rates
- Paid sick days and family care days for all parents, teachers and education workers